From 1935 to 1976, The Strand movie house stood as a marvel of modern technology. The Art Deco building boasted such amenities as air conditioning and heating and a fireproof projection booth, trimmings that made it one of the most up-to-date theaters in the region. But even these perks couldn’t keep The Strand from eventually closing its doors in 2002. Luckily, concerned community leaders began the “Bring Back The Strand” campaign, launched an extensive renovation, and resurrected the historic venue as the Earl Smith Strand Theatre. Today, the sparkling space plays host to concerts, musicals, and theatrical productions, and nods to its cinematic beginnings by screening classic films with live organ accompaniment and carefully replicated popcorn.